English (Course Levels & Overview)
About this course
English is the second most widely spoken language in the world and is an official language in a significant number of countries across the world. English is also the lingua franca for conducting business. Many companies and Multinational Corporations (MNCs) operate in English, and hence, require their employees to be able to converse in English too. Learning English allows you to access more information, as over 50% of the content published on the internet is in English. With many of the world’s top films, novels and music are also produced in English. In fact, there are many books that have translated from their original language to English. Hence, the importance and advantages of learning English cannot be overstated.
At Oxford Language Academy, we offer a variety of English courses that are sure to meet your requirements in learning English. These include part-time group or private General English language classes for adults, corporate language training for businesses and preparatory courses for the IELTS and TOEFL.
Our General English classes are designed to focus on the 4 important aspects of communication: speaking, reading, writing and listening. Each level will equip students with fundamental English skills, including grammar, vocabulary and phonemic awareness, which will progressively build on their knowledge of English.
Levels of Study
There are 6 Levels for our General Chinese course – Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4, Level 5 & Level 6.
A placement test will be conducted prior to students taking up this course. This is to test students proficiency in English, prior to taking up this course, so that our teachers can make informed decisions on which level of English class would be appropriate for students. This placement test is standard across every level of English, regardless of a student’s age.
Students are given 30 minutes to complete the written test, and all questions are in a Multiple Choice format.
Schedule & Rates
Classes are held weekly in the evening and limited to 4 – 10 students per class.
General English Level 1 to 6
Duration: 28 hours
Lessons: 14 lessons, 2 hours per lesson
Register your interest by clicking on the button above. Please complete the enquiry form and do indicate language, level of study, group/private/corporate/proficiency classes where applicable. Our representative will be in touch with you very soon.
Course Levels Explained
This course is highly recommended for students who have no background in English. It is designed to inspire and instil the student’s confidence in English, through developing daily conversational skills and acquiring basic listening and comprehension. The aim of this course is to develop students’ basic skills in communicating and exchanging information in a simple way.
At the end of this course, students should be able to:
- understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type.
- introduce themselves and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people they know and things they have.
- interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
The aim of this course is to develop students’ ability in dealing with straightforward information and expressing him/herself in familiar situations. At the end of this course, students should be able to:
- understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
- communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- describe in simple terms aspects of their background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
This course aims to develop students’ ability to express him/herself in familiar situations and to deal in a general way with nonroutine information. At the end of this level, students should be able to:
- understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
The objective of this course is to develop students’ ability to express him/herself based on a variety of topics. At the end of this level, students will be able to:
- understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in their field of specialization.
- interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
At the end of this level, students will be able to:
- understand a wide range of demanding, longer clauses, and recognize implicit meaning.
- express ideas fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
- use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
- produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organizational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
The aim of this course is to refine students’ skills in communication, with a focus on communicating in academic and professional situations. At the end of this course, students should be able to:
- understand, summarise and reconstruct any written or spoken information presented to them.
- express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations.
Why Take Group Classes?
An advantage of signing up for our part-time English classes is that it is a great place to meet other like-minded individuals who are just as keen about the language and culture. Classes held are immersive and interactive, enabling students to speak English to one another.
The advice from other students and sharing resources will help to ease your learning journey. Additionally, some students find that they are more committed to learning a language in a group setting as compared to a private tutor!
Certificate of Completion
Students will receive this certificate upon completion of the course, if they meet the minimum requirements of 70% attendance.
There are no minimum requirements for Singaporeans and Singapore Permanent Residents (PRs). Foreigners would first be required to go through an interview, to assess their suitability for this course.
Corporate Language Training
With globalisation bringing people from various parts of the world together, it is crucial for businesses to adapt and be prepared for new opportunities that may come with this change in environment. Customers coming from different parts of the world may not always understand English, which may result in a language barrier between your business and your potential partners or clients.
English Proficiency Test
Individuals interested in getting an accreditation for their English language proficiency should consider taking the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Oxford Language Academy offers students taking the IELTS or TOEFL examinations, a preparatory course to help them in their studies for it.
Within each level, students will grasp the intended key outcomes. These include learning the basics such as grammar rules and commonly used words, to cultivating key skills in communication, to building simple structures while developing sufficient vocabulary base through discussions and writings. As students’ progress through the levels, they are introduced to more complex concepts and skills, thus improving their speaking, reading, writing and listening skills.
Lorem Ipsn gravida nibh vel velit auctor aliquet. Aenean sollicitudin, lorem quis bibendum auci elit consequat ipsutis sem nibh id elit. Duis sed odio sit amet nibh vulputate cursus a sit amet mauris. Morbi accumsan ipsum velit. Nam nec tellus a odio tincidunt auctor a ornare odio. Sed non mauris vitae erat consequat auctor eu in elit.